Summer Intern - Human Factors Engineering
Summer Intern: Human Factors Engineering
Location: On-site in Waterford, CT
Come join us for a full time, 12-week paid internship with Sonalysts’ multi-disciplinary Human-Autonomy Interaction Laboratory (HAIL) team! You will work on a variety of projects with a diverse team including human factors engineers, UX designers, computer scientists, applied mathematicians, data scientists, graphic artists, and military domain experts. This is an exciting opportunity to work heavily with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) from a human-centered perspective. The intern will perfrom a variety of human factors work such as literature review, user research (e.g. interviews, surveys, focus groups), task analysis, and rapid prototyping (e.g. generating wireframes or mockups) of complex human-machine systems.
Depending on interests and qualifications, the Human Factors intern may work on a variety of challenging programs across the HAIL R&D portfolio, including, but not limited to:
- User Research and design of various user interfaces for an AI/ML Ecosystem:
- Dataset Querying and Retrieval
- Human Computation/Tagging of Multi-modal Data (Imagery, Video, Text)
- Participant Tracking and Gamification
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Evaluating Assistive Technologies w/Speech-to-Text (STT)
- Sensemaking/Naturalistic Decision Making (e.g. Cognitive Processes of Data Scientists)
- Crowdsourcing/Collective Intelligence/Human Computation
- Design of Displays for Situation Awareness (Cyber, Space, Sea, Undersea)
- Interaction & Visualization of Multi-Modal Data (Text, Quantitative, Qualitative, Temporal, etc.)
- Novel Tools & Methods for UX and Design Thinking
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Pursuing a PhD, Master’s, or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, including, but not limited to:
- Human Factors
- Experimental Psychology
- I/O Psychology
- User Experience (UX)
- User Centered Design (UCD)
- The following qualifications shall be demonstrated in a cover letter accompanying your resume, not to exceed two pages in length:
- Demonstrable passion for one or more of the topics in the HAIL R&D portfolio.
- Intellectual curiosity, creativity, and desire to explore new fields of study.
- Clearly articulated personal goals that you wish to achieve during the internship.
Preferred, but not required, qualifications include:
- Experience with cross-disciplinary work (i.e. working with colleagues from completely different technical domains than your own).
- Experience with qualitative methods (e.g. focus groups, interviews, observational research).
- Experience developing user interfaces via sketches/wireframes/mockups (Balsamiq is preferred).
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications.
What’s In It For You?
- Gain experience working on fun and challenging projects.
- Gain experience working on relevant topics such as AI/ML and crowdsourcing.
- Potentially publish your summer work at conferences or symposia.
Sonalysts, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, disability, or other basis protected by law.
Drug Testing Employer