Entomologist (Identifier) Pathways 'Recent Graduate'
Hello and thanks for your interest! This is an Outreach Notice to let you know that this job is posted on USA Jobs from July 31th to August 6th. Please note this is a Pathways 'recent graduate' position (see USA Jobs announcement for more info).
You must apply through USA Jobs (link enclosed)
Please reach out to the local Outreach and Recruitment POC with questions:
USDA APHIS PPQ
Outreach and Recruitment
Call/ Text: 518-420-9779
In this position you will provide expertise in pest biology, taxonomy and risk analysis as a recognized specialist and consultant or team member to agency import policy staff, survey design groups, survey personnel, and Cooperative Agricultural Pest Survey (CAPS) program managers. You will also review, evaluate and suggest modifications of inspection or trapping methodologies and approaches as an enhancement to plant pest and plant disease surveillance systems.
- The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity. The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Identifies or verifies identification of plant pests such as insects, some arachnids, and mollusks to genera and species and the family level.
- Refers some pests to National Identifiers, when virtually no pertinent reference material is available or the interception is particularly unusual.
- Monitors samples submitted for identification, pest interception, survey data, and pest detection techniques.
- Maintains, develops, and supplements information on taxonomy, hosts, distribution and other related information pertaining to intercepted and/or survey plant pests.
- Determines options for quarantine actions to be enforced by DHS and PPQ.
- Consults with and advises Department of Homeland Security (DHS), State departments of agriculture and other cooperators on the identity and biology of and procedures for detecting plant pests.
- Develops or aids in developing training modules and appropriately illustrated identification aids and works with national program staff to deliver training to PPQ, DHS and State employees.