Finance and Accounting Intern
Currently we are seeking a finance and accounting intern with a basic understanding of GAAP and financial principles and terms, who is ready for an immersive, real-world experience. Under the supervision of our staff, the Intern can expect to participate in the preparation of journal entries, financial reports, analyze actual financial data, and assist with other accounting and fiance activities.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in Accounting, CPA license may substitute for the education requirement.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Maintains general ledger information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents.
- Maintains accounting ledgers by posting/reviewing accounting transactions of intermediate dollar-value and complexity, insuring transactions are processed in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and sound business practices.
- Processes revenue collections and/or customer payments; prepares analysis of delinquent accounts, calculating/assessing delinquent fines/fees for supervisor/manager review; prepares accruals and/or other accounting entries in accordance with City policy, applicable laws and regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP.
- Prepares grant accounting entries and reconciliations by compiling and analyzing general ledger account information.
- Reconciles general ledger and/or bank accounts and resolves account discrepancies by reconciling statements and transactions and investigating supporting documentation.
- Prepares financial statements and/or special reports by preparing balance sheets, income statements, cash flows, and/or other special reports at an intermediate level; collecting, analyzing, and summarizing general ledger account information and trends; conducting variance analysis; applying intermediate skills and knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements of generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP.
- Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by preparing accurate supporting work papers at an intermediate level for assigned area(s) or funds; work is reviewed by other staff; providing explanations of City policy/procedures and responding to auditor's questions/requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepares asset, liability, inventory, and/or capital accounting entries by compiling and analyzing general ledger account information.
- Assists departments and other customers by providing procedural/financial information and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual systems.
- Carries out projects by completing projects of moderate complexity and/or completing parts of complex projects.
- Maintains financial security by following established internal accounting controls.