Reporting to Finance Director, this position serves as the direct supervisor of one (1) to four (4) professional accounting and/or accounting technical employees whose responsibilities are to perform the daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual accounting functions for several of the sixteen (16) separate government entities that provide local government services in The Villages community. The individual(s) in this position manage, train and oversee all work performed by their staff to ensure prompt, accurate and detailed recording of all financial and accounting transactions. Requires thorough knowledge of governmental Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as promulgated by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) as well as knowledge of the recommended practices of the Government Finance Officers Association in the oversight of the preparation of the audited annual financial statements. Complies with applicable State of Florida Statutes, Florida Administrative Code and local District policies. Ensures absolutely accurate cash accountability through establishment of internal control procedures, separation of duties, and monthly cash reconciliation to all bank and trust accounts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Leads Process Improvement Plan (PIP) groups in the evaluation, review and outline of various Finance team functions. Proposes changes to said processes and sees through with the final changes.
· Responsible to manage the Capital Asset accounting system and Tangible Personal Property database, including the analysis and review of revenue bond requisitions
· Assists in the hiring and responsible for the training new team members. Prepares evaluations, counsel’s employees as necessary and recommends promotions, merit awards, disciplinary action, and other personal actions as necessary. Approves leave, and time and attendance requests and forms.
· Monitors all GASB and FASB pronouncements to assure District compliance with said pronouncements.
· Leads effort to implement GASB lease standard and any future standards as required by GASB.
· Responsible for ensuring internal control policies and procedures are strictly enforced.
· Prepares analytics as requested by Finance Director; other special projects as defined by Finance Director
· Prepares draft of all Audit Reports annually.
· Provides reports, information and support for the District’s auditors in support of the preparation of the annual audited financial reports (16 Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports and 16 Annual Financial Reports).
· Prepares research for special projects as assigned by the Finance Director and Accounting Manager. Recommends and drafts new accounting procedures for the Finance Director’s approval.
Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or closely related field with three (3) or more years of supervisory accounting experience in a Finance office, preferably in a governmental setting.
· Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) desired.
· Proficient personal computer skills and knowledge of the Microsoft Office package involving Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint.
· Proven ability to provide excellent customer service to our residents.
· Excellent verbal communication skills and professional appearance.
· Successful completion of background check and drug screening.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
· CGFO or CPA license desired, but not required.
· Valid Florida Driver’s License.
· FEMA 100, 200, 300, 700 series within six months of hire.
· Uses small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
· Direct supervisor of one to three professional accounting and accounting technical employees, including selection, training, and evaluation.