Museum Archival Intern - Summer 2020
The Archival Intern performs tasks associated with cataloging and digitizing archival materials according to Rogers Historical Museum specifications and City Clerk oversight. Duties to include careful handling of materials, documentation of contents, cataloging and digitizing of select items in the City of Rogers archives at Rogers City Hall located at 301 W. Chestnut Street in Rogers, AR. This 20 hour per week un-paid internship is from June 22 through August 7, 2020.
Because this is an unpaid internship, students are encouraged to consult with your faculty advisor to determine if this opportunity is eligible for academic credit.
The ideal candidate should have a passion for history and a desire to pursuing a career in history, museum curating and/or archives. In addition to a sharp attention to detail and organization, the ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to work independently in following instructions to complete assigned tasks. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, are a must. Preference will be given to students who have experience volunteering and/or working for a historical organization, museum, library or archive.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Assists with the arrangement and description of unprocessed archival collections
· Performs basic preservation assessments on unprocessed collections
· Creates catalogs/finding aids utilizing Excel
· Performs tasks such as data entry, filing, photographing and scanning
· Ability to analyze and identify archival materials having sensitive content that may require restrictions
· Current college student pursuing a degree in museum studies, history, archaeology, or library science.
· Strong time management, organizational and analytical skills
· Familiarity with database procedures
· Proficiency in Word and Excel
· Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
· Ability to carry out detailed procedures with accuracy
· Ability to prioritize job responsibilities and tasks
TO APPLY: Submit by mail or email a cover letter, resume and 3 letters of reference (at least 2 must be academic) to the Rogers Historical Museum, Attn: Serena Barnett, 322 S. Second Street, Rogers, AR 72756 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply: June 5, 2020