Systems Engineer - Information Technology
The City of Savannah, Georgia is a charming Southern escape with historic architecture set under a veil of Spanish moss. Savannah's Historic District, one of the largest historic landmarks in the country, is designated a National Historic Landmark. Savannah's beauty is rivaled only by the city's reputation for hospitality. Savannah is one of the country's most popular vacation spots. In 2019, Forbes named the City Savannah as the top local government and the best employers in the State of Georgia.
Are you looking for a career with purpose? The City of Savannah seeks a highly qualified Systems Engineer who is customer-service focused.
If you are ready to take the next step, come envision your career with us!
The Systems Engineer is responsible for the maintenance and support of the comprehensive city information technology infrastructure. As the Systems Engineer you will implement and monitor security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks and information.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure to insure adherence to security standards.
- Oversees Microsoft Office 365 platform to insure optimal performance and security as well as maintain adopted naming and procedural standards.
- Installs, configures, administers, and maintains servers, user storage, systems security, and backup administration solutions.
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools.
- Demonstrable skill with integrating multi-vendor technologies into the Office 365 security model.
- Experience with Single Sign On integrations.
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of security standards for systems and infrastructure availability.
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with vendors to implement those fixes.
- Maintain backup and redundancy strategies.
- Engineer, implement and monitor security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks and information
- Develop technical solutions to automate repeatable tasks
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level technical support.
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution.
- Oversee root cause analysis for service disruption incidents
- Provides junior staff members with technical assistance on various and diverse issues; assists with over-flow duties from other areas of responsibility.
- Provides technical support for Applications Support, Help Desk, and PC installation activities.
- Oversees special projects and new technology implementations as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Information; with three years' experience in installation, maintenance, and monitoring of complex communication and computer networks and related hardware and software; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with network security standards and best practices. Experience with virtualization and containerization. Experience with monitoring systems. Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP).
Work Location: 1375 Chatham Parkway Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
- Thorough understanding of cloud computing technologies.
- Knowledge of information systems and technology, including the principles used in analyzing, evaluating, modifying, developing, designing, installing, maintaining, expanding, networking, and testing information systems and technology.
- Demonstrable experience with PowerShell Scripting
- Knowledge of information technology security standards, trends, management, and security principles.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in researching new technologies and evaluating new systems.
- Skill in the development of project strategies.
- Ability to identify current and potential problems, evaluate alternatives, implement positive solutions, and follow-up to ensure system performance and stability.
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Experience with network security and networking technologies and with system, security, and network monitoring tools.