Virtual Robot Genius for e-Learning version of LEGO robot camp (Virtual Internship Opportunity)
Since K-12 schools are out of session across the world this spring, we created an e-Learning version of LEGO robot camp with the main purpose of giving technical kids something constructive and tangible online to focus on during this unsettling time (and to give their parents some peace and quiet). Germ free fun delivered via Zoom. All teaching by Head Instructor. Your role is to troubleshoot and offer encouragement via Zoom to a small group of students during activities (robot building and programming) under supervision of Head Instructor. When applying for job, please list LEGO Mindstorms EV3 or NXT experience or similar experience as well as experience with inventions. Please specify experience in your cover letter. Thanks.
- Passion for teaching kids about science and technology
- Ability to explain somewhat complicated ideas about technology in a simple manner so that students can understand
- Ability to demonstrate/explain ideas to students using Lego pieces and programming code without accidentally overstepping and completing activities for the students
- Experience with Lego Mindstorms EV3 or NXT parts and programming language is required
- Own a Lego Mindstorms EV3 or NXT set with LEGOs for demonstration to kids is required
- Own a laptop or computer with camera for Zoom calls is a requirement
- Experience with Inventions or Invention Competitions is a plus
- Experience with working with kids is a plus
- No need to come to office. This is a remote position.
Position Tasks & Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
Individual Mentoring of Students
- Help students to build with LEGO virtually. Find students who are ‘stuck’ on a camp activity and help them to get back on track. This may involve helping students to think ‘outside the box’, or it may simply involve re-explaining robotics concepts from the lecture so that students understand.
- Demonstrate possible design ideas to students (to stimulate their imaginations) using Lego pieces or EV3 programming code
- Refrain from actually completing the student’s work for them… it is important that students complete the activities themselves so that they feel a sense of accomplishment and technological proficiency
- Owning an EV3 or NXT or just LEGOs is a plus
Virtual Classroom Mentor via Zoom
- Robot Genius is a role model for the students who want to pursue a major that focuses on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math).
- While the majority of actual robotics-related instruction is provided by the Master Robot Genius and through video lecture, Robot Geniuses are expected to understand the material and to explain it to students who may not have understood the presentation
- Your role is to troubleshoot and offer encouragement to a small group of students on Zoom Webinar breakout sessions.
Robot Academy Role Model
- Represent Robot Academy in a positive and professional way to students and parents