Transportation Engineering Trainee (Engineering Trainee)
The Portland Bureau of Transportation is seeking qualified candidates to fill an Trainee position in the Engineering Services workgroup!
PBOT's Traffic Signals, Street Lighting & ITS Division specifically plans, designs, builds, and maintains the city's traffic signals, street lighting systems, and ITS systems, which consist of approximately 1,100 traffic signals, 55,000 street lights, 70 rectangular rapid flash beacons, 170
school beacons, CCTV cameras, Variable Message Signs, Communication equipment and various other electrical elements throughout the City of Portland.
The trainee will assist the SSL & ITS staff by performing routine evaluation of various traffic detection equipment, help monitor detection systems, and other tasks that SSL & ITS staff need help on. The intern will also update maps with as-built information and reproduce and
distribute maps and drawings for engineering staff.
Objectives of intern job experience:
- The trainee will learn about traffic engineering in a real-world environment and gain skills in using computer-aided software.
- Accomplish necessary work in the aid of the Engineering Services Division.
- Work on configuring phasing diagrams for intersections
- Help monitor and evaluate detection systems for traffic signals
- Update traffic signals and ITS devices on GIS Map
- Create intersection diagrams for intersections configured in the traffic signal system
- Grid Smart evaluation
- Work on getting system detectors fixed
- Set up some 90+ intersections on the UDOT ATSPM site
- Configure SDLC at locations with existing Wavetronix to collect ATSPMs
- Validate setup and accuracy of ATSPMs
- Help evaluate accuracy of Wavetronix for bike detection
- Assist in ATC swap-outs