Water Billing Clerk (Finance)
VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court
Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Of special distinction, the village was recently named one of the "Top Ten Best Places to Live" by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's "Best Illinois Cities for Jobs" and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Water Billing Clerk (Finance) with an online application deadline of 12/08/2019 or until 75 applicants have successfully completed the application process.
STARTING PAY RATE: $19.67 - $22.24 per hour based on a 35-hour work week. Salary dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $19.67 - $29.97. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs a variety of water billing functions within the Water Billing Division, such as compiling and analyzing meter readings for accurate water billing, providing customer service regarding water billing and water usage issues, and processing activity in the water billing database.
- Compiles and maintains database for water billing and customer service; also used by other departments for verification of rentals, ownership information, occupancy and phone numbers.
- Ability to post and verify daily payments from all sources and run monthly billing, penalty, and shut off processes.
- Responsible for gathering and reviewing actual or estimated customer water reads to calculate amounts due based on current water rate schedules on a monthly basis as well as when property has been transferred from one customer to another. This may include making adjustments, issuing refunds or setting up payment arrangements to assist residents.
- Reviews and completes incoming CSRs generated from the 311 call center. These CSRs include customer inquiries regarding billing, final billing, variances in consumption, and any other customer needs that are associated with their water account.
- Investigates, analyzes, schedules and generates work orders through the Customer Service Request (CSR) system based on Public Works technician availability and the issues outstanding. These responsibilities include all areas of the water division, such as billing and final read billing, variances in consumption and customer service.
- Compiles and maintains water shutoff list.
- Maintains hard copy records of service orders and payments.
- Participates in special division and interdepartmental projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Assists in the recommendation and implementation of changes to policies and procedures related to the Water Billing Division.
- Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
- A minimum of one year of experience in a customer service related field with considerable analytical skills in evaluating and resolving customer service issues/complaints.
- Basic knowledge of water billing principles and procedures preferred.
- Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific software, and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
Ability to perform basic mathematical computations with speed and accuracy. Basic knowledge of the use and application of data processing systems. Ability to meet and deal effectively with other employees and the general public. Ability to interpret and analyze data.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- This position works in a typical office setting.
- Prolonged periods of concentration, proofreading, and extensive computer work.
- Ability to cope with numerous interruptions.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER