Student Intern/Graphic/Motion Designer
This part time contracted student intern position will work up to 20 hours per week and is currently funded through December 31,2020. The extension of this contracted position is contingent upon funding availability and approval.
PLEASE NOTE THAT PURSUANT TO MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL LAW, CONTRACTED EMPLOYEES ARE NOT PAID FOR THE ELEVEN SCHEDULED HOLIDAYS, DO NOT RECEIVE ANY PAID, VACATION, PERSONALLEAVE BENEFITS, OR CONTRIBUTE TO THE STATE RETIREMENT SYSTEM OR SOCIAL SECURITY. AS A STATECONTRACTED EMPLOYEE, YOU MUST PARTICIPATE IN DIRECT DEPOSIT AND CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS STATE ALTERNATE RETIREMENT PLAN, ("OBRA PLAN").
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Office of the Commissioner is seeking a contracted student intern/graphic/motion designer to perform the following duties:
- Designing marketing collateral, digital publications, HTML emails, web advertisements, video animation, and promotional items on time and on budget, while monitoring accuracy and design consistency.
- Ensuring digital and print assets such as fonts, imagery, video and other forms of content are developed and formatted appropriately for digital and responsive, adaptive and scalable builds.
- Adapting and enhancing existing brand design standards, such as icons, images, and other design elements, in collaboration with internal stakeholders and external marketing agency partners.
- Advising and educating staff regarding DESE’s graphic standards and ensuring that marketing materials are consistent and adheres to these standards.
- Keeping current in the areas of graphic design, desktop publishing, computers, pre‑press, printing, digital imaging, web, and other design-related fields.
Minimum Qualifications required at hire:
- Proficient with the Adobe Creative suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Sketch, etc.).
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Word, etc.).
- Proficient with leading email marketing platforms (Constant Contact, iContact, Mailchimp, etc.).
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas through sketches and verbal presentations.
- Strong analytical skills, excellent eye for detail, and ability to absorb and apply constructive criticism.
- Compelling portfolio of work over a wide range of creative projects.
- In process: Bachelor or Associate degree in graphic arts, design, communication, or related field
- Experience in professional commercial design, preferably with a marketing or creative agency.