PTS College Intern - GIS
The City of Santa Clarita is committed to providing a challenging and meaningful work experience for college students. The City offers unique opportunities for students to gain hands-on and in-depth experience in a variety of disciplines related to local, regional, state, and federal government operations. We provide real world work assignments, which provide interns the opportunity to work side-by-side with professional City staff committed to teamwork and providing superior municipal services to the community of Santa Clarita. The GIS intern will participate in projects related to geographic information data, mapping applications, and a variety of planning, engineering, and administrative functions for the City.
SALARY: $16.03 – $25.66/hour
OPENING DATE: 10/8/2019
CLOSING DATE: 10/22/2019 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
20-25 hours per week is preferred. Expected duration of this internship is from November 2019 to May 2020.
DESCRIPTION/DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research, collect, compile, evaluate, reconcile, and analyze geographic data
- Data entry through on-screen digitization, keyboard data, scanning, GPS, portable data entry units, field data collection, and other methods for collection of streets, signs, etc.
- Design and produce high-quality cartographic output, suitable for publication and public display
- Upload and download information from other systems and convert data received to GIS
- Perform quality control on data and correct errors
- Maintain metadata and documentation, both online and hard copy
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
If you are a current junior or senior undergraduate student, current graduate student, or a recent graduate studying GIS in the fields of Geography, Planning, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field and are interested in gaining meaningful, hands-on work experience at the local government level, this may be the program for you.
THE FOLLOWING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES ARE HIGHLY DESIRABLE:
- Experience with ESRI's ArcGIS software in the areas of data entry, editing, project management, analysis, reporting, and cartographic output
- Ability to operate a plotter, GPS data logger, and other related tools
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity required in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable criteria
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Excellent oral and written communications
- Ability to foster effective working relationships with all levels of staff and the community
- Research techniques, survey methods, and data collection
- Computer experience, including Outlook, Word and Excel
An online completed City application is required to apply for this position. All employment information must be provided on the application. Providing a resume is not a substitute for completing this section of the application. Applications left incomplete or with a reference to attachments may be rejected.
All offers of employment with the City of Santa Clarita are made contingent upon receipt of proof of legal right to work in the United States and successful completion of Department of Justice fingerprinting. Criminal offender information will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The City uses the E-Verify program to electronically confirm work authorization of newly hired employees.
In addition, College Interns may be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull-Notice Program. This program authorizes the City to receive a driving record upon hire and during employment.
Part-time, temporary and seasonal (PTS) workers are at-will.
The City of Santa Clarita is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A fully completed online City application form is required to apply for this position until closing on October 22, 2019, at 12:00 p.m. (noon).